Ebbert Fitness Fun

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Where I'm at

Hey everyone. I weighed yesterday (ChangeOne suggests weighing on Mondays, so you don't mess up too much on the weekends). I have lost 2 1/2 pounds. It is a start. It's enough to make me a little more motivated. Although I am still very hungry much of the time. I have been trying to look at labels and calories more too. Boy is that sobering. Change One encourages a 1300 calorie diet until you are at the weight that you want, then you can slightly increase your calories. 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 500 for dinner and two 100 calorie snacks. I have been able to do breakfast pretty well. I am working on lunch. I am having trouble calculating calories for dinner because often we eat things that are all mixed up like lasagne or enchiladas. I do know though that one flour tortilla has 130 calories! We ate frozen pizza for dinner the other day. A serving was 1/6 of the pizza and it had 340 calories! Compare that to the pickles we eat. They are pretty big Vlasic pickles. 1 pickle is 5 calories! The broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix of frozen veggies is like 25 calories per cup. It is just unbelievable the difference. It has really opened my eyes. I used to think I ate pretty moderately, but am realizing that I was probably getting 2500 or more calories a day, and didn't even know.

On a more philisophical level, I taught a primary lesson on Sunday about Jacob and Esau. You all know the story. Esau sells his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of pottage (yum!:)). The lesson emphasized how Esau chose something temporary over what was eternally important. It just struck me as having a very clear application to my own situation with food. It is so easy to choose bad food. It tastes good! It is an immediate reward, but I almost never think about what that food, will do to my body in the long run (I know a treat once in a while isn't too bad), especially if I often take that path, choosing the immediate, yummy high over the taking care of this great gift the Lord has given to me, for myself and my family. Anyway, it helps me to think of things in more of an eternal perspective. I was glad to have taught this lesson on Sunday.

Also, if you go to the church website, currently they had right on the front page a link to ProvidentLiving.org to learn more about physical health. I have read some of the articles before. They are worth reading. I especially enjoyed one about set point. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, blah. Hope you are doing well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Ann said...

Yeah Tammy! Every pound really does make a difference. I still have not lost an ounce but I have not really watched my calories. I have increased my activity and will keep doing that. I know if I made menus that would help me watch what I eat. I don't think Cafe Rio once a week is helping me any.

2/5/06 6:48 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Congratulations! That's great. Keep up the good work!

2/5/06 8:23 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Great job Tammy! An impressive achievement I think.

3/5/06 5:59 AM  
Blogger GmaGpa said...

Tammy I do know how exciting it is to see those numbers go down.Again it is hard at first but when you fill in the holes with fruit or vegetables it takes away some of the hunger at least. I still would pick a 1/2 cup of icecream over a cup of carrots but I have learned to savor every bite of that 1/2 cup. I also have learned to save that for special occasions. When I know I will be in a situation that is difficult I try to moderate the rest of the day. Keep up the good work G'ma

3/5/06 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home